Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Blessing Leading the Blind

On my way home from work tonight I received a beautiful opportunity to witness a blessing as it was happening. I was sitting in my car, just zoning out after my busy day, when I looked at the people crossing the street and saw a blind woman making her way, slowly, across the street. She had her red and white walking stick to ensure she didn't bump into anything. Then, out of no where, a young man took her arm and guided her across the street.

On any other day, with any other person, this young man would have been greeted with a scream. He must have been in his very late teens or very early 20's, African American, dressed in black jeans, shirt and cap and he had rather large ear phones on...the old school ones. But today was his lucky day. He got to help someone out who couldn't see him and couldn't judge him by his looks. As the two glided across the busy intersection, they both smiled and exchanged a few words. And when he got her across, they said their goodbye's and each went in separate directions.

Tonight this man can go to sleep knowing that he did something great. He got the biggest blessing of all and a few of us lucky ones, who watched in amazement and awe from our cars, were reminded what it meant to be kind and giving despite our looks.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! You write so well. I look forward to your blogs. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this story. This reminds me to be more aware of my surroundings so that I can either observe nice moments like this or be in them.

    ReplyDelete